US may punish perpetrators of deadly November 26 Pakistan airstrike post final enquiry

Washington :  The United States has indicated it may take action against the perpetrators of the November 26 NATO airstrike on the Pakistan border but only after receiving the final report of an official inquiry into the incident.

The US Central Command had earlier released a preliminary report, which highlighted NATO’s mistakes but also blamed Pakistan for the death of 24 Pakistani soldiers in the attack.

Pakistan, however, rejected the report as biased and urged the US to bring the culprits to book and take stringent action against them.

A Pentagon spokesperson did not rule out action against those found guilty but said only the final inquiry report could single out the perpetrators of the attack, the Dawn reports.

He also pointed out that the Centcom commander, who supervises the US-led war in Afghanistan, had already directed the Kabul-based International Security and Assistance Forces to take concrete measures to enhance cooperation with Pakistan.

The Pentagon spokesperson Captain John Kirby said the US has provided a copy of the inquiry report to Pakistan army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani.

“We wanted Gen Kayani to be able to see the entire thing,” he said, adding the approach represented “an appropriate professional courtesy”.





One Pakistan - Pakistan News & General Entertainment Web Portal

Mobile RSS / Alerts Sitemap
Get Social with Us!

Use of this site is governed by our Terms and Privacy Policy | About | Copyright | Contact

© Onepakistan.com 2012. All rights reserved.