Islamabad, Political uncertainty over the fate of the civilian government could possibly delay the reopening of vital land routes for the U.S.-led foreign forces in Afghanistan for a period much longer than previously expected, an official has said.
The NATO supply lines were shut down last November following a U.S. air raid along the Afghan border, which killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.
In recent months, the two sides had come close to striking a deal on several occasions but certain developments have been putting the final agreement on hold, reports The Express Tribune.
Now officials from both sides assess the seven-month ban on NATO supplies is unlikely to be lifted any time soon.
“Given the political uncertainty and prospects of early elections, they (PPP government) think it is too risky to take such a decision. It may take several months,” said an U.S. official.
The government”s reluctance is attributed to rapidly changing developments on the political scene after the disqualification of former premier Yousuf Raza Gilani from holding office.
A PPP member said the government wants to move beyond the Salala incident but the security establishment is not ready to compromise on certain key issues.
The U.S. had shown its willingness to offer an apology. However, the military is adamant that the Obama administration should also take the sole responsibility for the November 26 incident, the PPP member said.
Foreign Ministry spokesperson Moazzam Ali Khan said both sides were working to arrive at a ”mutually acceptable solution” to the issue.